Saturday, December 03, 2005

My First Star Sighting Here!!

Coming from New York, one gets used to the weekly (or sometimes daily) brush with celebrities. Since I've been in Dusseldorf, I have not had any star sightings at all; in order to get my fix, I read Gawker and live vicariously, thinking, "Oh yes, I remember that time when I also ran into John Turturro on 7th Avenue...".

So...today F and I met up in the city to go to the Weihnachsmarkt to walk around and have a little Flammkuchen and Gluehwein. We were doing a little shopping afterwards, and I was waiting for him outside of Galeria Kaufhof, one of the department stores here. He called me to let me know that he was just waiting to pay, and then he stage whispered, "Guess who's in front of me in line?" "Who?" I asked, thinking, "Who the hell is going to be in front of him? It's not like it would be a celebrity..."

Well, I was wrong. After trying several times to say this person's name (it's someone who goes by their first name only) in that stage whisper, I finally understood what F said. I excitedly asked him where he was, and then I was off into the store, bounding up the escalator to the 3rd floor.

As I came came up to the 2nd floor, I came face to face with my target. I had to think quickly, and so I just said, "Excuse me, I'm sorry." And then I think I touched his arm. I stammered, I had no idea what to say, so I just said, "Uh, I think you're great." Doh. He said, "Thanks, that's very nice of you to say." Then he cocked his head to the side and asked, "Where are you from?" I told him I was from New York but was now living in Dusseldorf. Then he shook my hand and said, "Thanks again."

I found F upstairs, and breathlessly told him what just transpired. He just chuckled. So we went back downstairs and then saw my new friend having his gift wrapped. F wanted me to go over and take a picture with him (I had my camera around my neck just like a dorky tourist). I tried to retain a shred of dignity and just ushered F out of the store.

Oh, I forgot to mention who he was - have you figured it out? It was none other than Heidi Klum's husband, Seal. And let me tell you, he is quite dashing and debonair in person. Sigh.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's pretty bold to speak to him. I once ran into (literally) Heather Locklear as I was leaving ABC Carpet. Saw several celebrities on my month backpack trip through Europe. Now I only run into random country singers (Lyle Lovett and some small guy with a BIG black cowboy hat, I think his name was Rick Trevino, but country just ain't my thing). We only have 4 big celebrities that actually live here: Lance, Sandra Bullock, Matthew McConoughey--sp?, and Michael Dell. Maybe there's a few others I'm missing, (on more than one occasion Jenna Bush got in trouble for drinking on 6th Steet) but overall, there's just not much chance for me celebrity spotting.

4:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home