Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Mom's Visit


About a month ago (damn, how time flies!) my lovely mom came to visit me here in D'dorf. We had a whirlwind week of activity: first an afternoon spent in D'dorf exploring the Rhine area and the Altstadt (that's me and mom along the Rhine), then down to southern Germany to F's village to celebrate his father's 65th birthday and his retirement, then back up to D'dorf the next day before setting off for our Amsterdam Adventure.

Unfortunately, things took a bit of a turn for the worse...

Mom got sick, and I regressed to being about 13 years old. Sullen, and oh-so-fun to be around. I have apologized profusely, and mom, I'll say it again: I'm really, really sorry.

Although we had some rocky moments, I think overall it was a good trip...we stayed in a charming B&B in the heart of the Jordaan area run by this adorable couple, Ken & Vlad (Ken hails from CA and used to be a pastry chef, and Vlad was a dancer - he even knows Misha!). We stayed in a recently renovated duplex room, with a brand new Italian bathroom - beautiful tiles, jacuzzi bathtub, rain shower, and, oh yes, phallic fixtures. But more on that another time...

The weather was beautiful, and we spent many moments lazing about in Vondelpark (Amsterdam's Central Park, below), and just wandering around the city on foot. We were told that it was a fluke that the weather was so good; they normally do not have successive days of sun and warmth. I've realized that I now have an idealized vision of Amsterdam - every time I have visited (3 times since I moved here) it has been gloriously beautiful. I don't care - I think I'd still love Amsterdam in the rain...

So mom, thanks again for coming to visit! Next time I promise I'll behave...

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay - you're on. I too would go back in a minute to Amsterdam. Despite our "rocky moments" I loved being with you and catching a glimpse of your life in Dusseldorf and exploring Amsterdam.

5:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay--I'm leaving behind the heartfelt emotions in this posting to ask a very important question--are those pants shiny or is it just the photo?
-Karin

10:23 PM  
Blogger Virginia Woof said...

Earlier this year I went to Paris with my mom and you know that "rocky" would be the nicest way to describe our relationship. Of course I had several sullen episodes as well. But in all I'm glad we shared the time together. Mothers. Oy. Not enough ink in India.

1:08 AM  
Blogger Kath said...

Damn, those pix of Amsterdam are gorgeous. I also know a little about travelling with mom. I think it brings out the inner 13 year-old in anyone.

4:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home