Thursday, October 13, 2005

Kids Say the Darndest Things!

So I've got a few nuggets of amusement to share...

A group of girls who were my students last year accosted me one day recently. Their mission? To find out my age. I told them that was my personal information, and there was so much whining and pleading that I relented and told them that I was older than 30, but younger than 40. The ringleader, aghast, let out a bloodcurdling, eardrum-piercing shriek. "You're older than 30???!!??!! I thought that you were only 28!" I walked away thinking that I was glad it wasn't my birthday yet...

One of my current students came up to me after math class recently to ask about my musical tastes. She's one of my favorites, a husky, slightly tough-seeming (none of the boys mess with her), sweet faced girl with a Louise Brooks bob. She quietly asked, "Ms. M, do you like to listen to music?" I told her I did. I thought she would ask me about some top 40 group/singer, so I was caught off guard when she next asked, "Do you like System of a Down?"

When I recovered my composure, I told her that I knew some of their songs, and that I did like them. She nodded her head and quietly said, "cool." We talked a little bit about their new album (her verdict: pretty cool), and then she went off to her next class. (Her older brother is the resident musician - plays guitar, writes his own songs, wants to start a rock band. So no surprise that she's into System of a Down.)

There are more tidbits, many more, but I'll spare you (and you know who you are, sitting there rolling your eyes, thinking, "oh boy, another story about her students..."). I am trying to be better about this...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't who you're talking about! Besides, the one girl seems cool.
-Karin

7:38 PM  
Blogger Kath said...

System of a Down, huh? Next thing you know, she'll be on to Captain Beefheart.

9:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home